Tuesday, August 17, 2010

New Beginings

Samantha my (baby girl) is turning into a big girl, she starts school on Monday. I keep telling myself that it's no big deal, I wont cry, she will be fine......but then seasoned mommies who have done this before all tell me I will cry like a baby. Being pregnant I can just see it now, both of us crying me not wanting to leave her, her scared to go, this has disaster written allover it.

The start of a school year always reminds me of the chance for new beginnings and as I have been praying much the last few weeks trying to get my priorities in order and make sure our family is living in accordance with the teachings of our Savior I have felt more and more a need to start from the beginning again. I am sad to admit that scriptures are rarely read in our home and that dinner is rarely prayed over. We have attempted family night on several occasions but nothing has stuck. We DO have family prayer every night and DO try to teach our children the gospel as we teach them daily in whatever they may be doing. Sunday Samantha didn't want to go to church to which I said Samantha it is Sunday and we go to church that is just what we do. A few nights ago she didn't want to say the prayer to which I took the opportunity to explain that saying a prayer is like talking on the phone to our heavenly father, that he misses us, that he wants to hear all about our day and what we need.

We still do good, our kids still know whats right and wrong, BUT we need to do better. I have been reading through conference edition of the Ensign and it has struck me so clearly the importance of parents to teach their kids correct principles and teach by example. Do my kids see me read the scriptures, go to the temple, and kneel to pray at night....sadly right now NO they don't. I WANT THAT....I want them to know that I know the church is true and that I love the Lord.

So I am starting at the beginning again and hopefully my dear husband will join me. I can't tell you how well my days have gone since I have reestablished multiple daily prayers, listening to church music, studying the scriptures and allowing the spirit to flow from me through our home.
So here is to new beginnings and trying to hold steadfast to the rod.

No comments: