
Over the last several months I have decided somewhat out of necessity to stop being intimidated by certain tasks one of them being cooking. I have tried apple sauce making with bushels of apples that needed a purpose, spaghetti sauce out of tomatoes too ripe to have any other use, and Saturday I found us out of bread after I had just made a trip out to Walmart. Not wanting to go back out gave me the motivation to try bread making. I have been handed down my Grandmas roll recipe it is very simple although I have felt it to be very intimidating in the past. I got out every thing I needed and used the roll recipe to make bread. It turned out beautifully. All I could think of was Merry Christmas Grandma I hope the smell reaches you in heaven, I hope you know this is for you. Jeremiah and I devoured the small round loaf in a few hours. The second actual loaf size bread was cut into Saturday night only to get half way through and notice that the middle had not fully cooked. Today I am off to get more yeast and try it again. This is my goal for the coming months and years. I will try new recipes, make things I would not normally try to make, and find a purpose for every scrap of food that enters our home. When I see that oranges are on sale 5 lbs for $1 I will buy them because they are a GREAT deal and then find a use for every last orange. If it cane be made rather than bought already processed I will try to make it......I know a time will come in the near future when I will need to know how to make something out of what seems like nothing and so this is my goal.
**while making this bread I was think of how perfect the recipe is, no milk just yeast, water, sugar,butter, eggs, salt, and flour. So in my head I was going flour, salt, sugar, okay have those things in food storage, eggs well there are always chickens, so that just leaves the butter....I guess I need to learn how to make butter. OH but you need milk for butter. I guess I better find a local milking cow :)
2 comments:
Good Job Jessica. I love cooking and baking but bread is soooo intimidating to me! I'd love to have the recipe!
oh I miss gradma so much we lost them both way to close to the holidays so this time of year is hard for me with out them but I am sure grandma was saying" I taught them that" to all her freinds in heaven looking down on you :)
kelly
maxfamily4.blogspot.com
Post a Comment